How to Deal with Sweaty Feet?
Most people have sweaty feet which can be quite embarrassing. If sweaty feet are making you hesitant to take off your shoes in public, it is time to look for ways to tackle the problem. It is common to have sweaty feet once in a while, but not always. If you are experiencing excessive sweating, you should not take it lightly.
The sweaty foot problem arises when the sweat glands begin to overreact to stimuli and generate more sweat than normal. This can also lead to smelly feat. Some of the best methods to deal with this problem are discussed below.
Home remedies for sweaty feet
Some home remedies can provide the best solution to decrease sweating. If you have sweaty feet, these remedies can work wonders when treated at the initial stage.
- Wear mostly cotton socks or choose socks that are made out of moisture wicking or natural fabrics. Avoid polyester or nylon socks as they make your feet sweat more, whereas other fabrics give some breathing space.
- Wash your feet on a daily basis with an antibacterial soap. By doing so, it helps your feet from sweating and keeps odors away. Dry your feet completely and ensure that the area between the toes are dried as well. If these areas are not dried fully, it may lead to bacteria or fungi development.
- Use an antiperspirant on the feet. Follow this before you put on the socks. Antiperspirants not only prevent your underarm from sweating, but also work effectively to reduce perspiration on the feet.
- Another effective home remedy is to dust the feet with a foot powder. You can follow using the antiperspirant along with foot powder as it absorbs excessive sweat and also decreases odor.
- Change your socks regularly. If your socks are damp due to sweat, grab a fresh pair of socks after washing your feet. You can use baby wipes to wipe them if washing is not feasible, especially if you are in the workplace.
- Soak your feet in one quart of water. Add half a cup of vinegar and place your feet in for 15 minutes. This process helps to decrease foot perspiration.
Steps to treat excess sweating
When home remedies don’t work, it is time to take a step further to find a permanent solution to the problem.
The best method to treat heavy sweating is using antiperspirants. This is the most common remedy used by many people. The majority of antiperspirants are made using aluminum salts and when you apply them onto the skin, they form a plug to prevent or block perspiration.
Antiperspirants can be found at drug stores or supermarkets. If the store bought antiperspirants don’t help, you can consult your doctor to prescribe one for you. The antiperspirants prescribed by doctors are not meant only for armpits, but also for other areas of the body like feet or hands. For effective results, you should apply them twice a day.
Medical treatments for sweaty feet
This treatment involves sitting with your feet and hands in a tray of water for 30 minutes. The electrical current passes through the water and prevents sweat from reaching the surface of the skin. You can repeat this treatment twice or three times a week to see results.
When you learn the process of Iontophoresis, it can be done from home using the machine. However, this treatment is not suitable for women that are pregnant and those with pacemakers or cardiac conditions.
This is yet another treatment for smelly feet, which basically involves doses of Botulinum toxin through injections. It is FDA approved and hence treats heavy sweating of the armpits, but most doctors also use on the feet. You may need multiple injections of Botox, but the effect can last for up to one year.
When the above treatments don’t work, your doctor may prescribe anticholinergic drugs. This medicine prevents the formation of the sweat glands, but may not work for everyone as it has side effects like heart palpitations, blurred vision or urinary issues.
Many plastic surgeons perform surgical procedures to cure heavy sweating problems. Surgery is recommended only when there is excessive sweating, which has failed to respond to other treatments. When the surgery takes place, the doctor scrapes or cuts the sweat glands.
These are some of the best solutions to deal with sweaty feet. You could also refer to the Sweat Miracle program. In addition, try to avoid wearing socks when at home. Allow your feet to breathe when you can. Wear open toed shoes or sandals as they allow your feet to be exposed and help to reduce sweating.